Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, May 7, 2009

my reading recovery students

I have been very worried about my reading recovery students as i need to be reading up on strategies to help them move forward and progress but have put it on the backburner due to the demands of this course. So was glad to spend a night reading on this area and meeting my tutor to find out that i'm on the right track and can move them forward. Now i am back to the collection development policy - frantically looking through internet sites and wondering if i should pay a visit to a nearby school tomorrow to look at theirs. Surprised to find some schools very possessive of their policies - they are supposed to be public policies so i can't understand the reticence in allowing others to read them. Some TLs have expressed the painstaking effort they have put into them and suggested that I need to be doing the same thing or have expressed a concern that their policies will be copied. I am in the process of doing a survey with some of my classes to determine their needs and wants in relation to the collection of our library. However, I want to get back to the basic enjoyment of books with my students and i am worried that all this academic stuff is stressing me out and rubbing off onto my students. I love reading with the younger children and i need to work out ways to enjoy reading with the older students - too much emphasise on research, computers, non fiction books to support classroom units of work can be too prescriptive.

No comments:

Post a Comment